Sunday, November 22, 2009

I am going to attempt to put a link to a YouTube video about a way to multiply quickly and accurately without a calculator. I think there are a great many YouTube clips that could be brought into the classroom to spark interest or help teach a concept. I also watched two other clips about math. One position was that students need to learn standard algorithms and the other felt that algorithm were good but that the students need to understand the ideas behind the math. This went along nicely with the math foundations class that I just took. As with everything except ice cream, I think that a balance of both would be best, rather than coming down far to the left or far to the right.

Here is the link, I think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLdKsKep1og this was a neat way of looking at multiplication that really is faster and I intend to show this clip to my math class.

Since we're trying this why not go all the way. The next link is a weather person who does not believe in "New Math" and feels that children just need to learn standard algorithms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1qee-bTZI



This link is an answer to the woman in the above link by a college math professor. While he is not as well spoken, he isn't reading from notes that "Big Brother" wrote and he believes that ideas and algorithms are important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9skRrnN2_HU&feature=related

I have used You Tube before and like it for personal use. For the classroom you have to preview and probably save the file because you never know what might also come up on the page that could be inappropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment