Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Technology: A lot ot learn!!!

Well here goes, I'm typing this AGAIN, because I hit the back button after hitting preview to correct a misspelled word. Guess what, I forgot to save so everything is g - o- n -e. Gee, perhaps I need to learn more about technology (:

I watched the video about how technology is changing students last week. I tried to watch it again to refresh my memory, but it is is not coming up. I may add to this once I figure out how to view the video again. I'll be emailing you Mr. Anderson.

The most interesting fact to me was that the cell phone will be the preferred method of Internet access in the future. I don't have it on my phone because I can't afford it, but I bet it will become cheaper as time passes.

I am looking forward to learning more about how to incorporate technology into teaching and learning. The kids do know more than I do. I recently took the introductory class for the smart board and have begun using ready made smart board lessons. The students are more engaged with the visual presentation as well as the interactive parts. Just today we used individual white boards for a visual quiz in math. One of my students said, " these used to be cool until the smart board came along." Enough said.

While the students are coming to school more knowledgeable about technology, a teacher in a session at the NCAE conference in Greensboro this weekend brought up a possible caveat. He said that students are using so much technology that they are not interacting with adults and other kids enough. He feels that kids are coming to school with more social skills deficits that they used to. I wonder what time and research will determine about that.

Well I'm noticing that drafts are auto saved so I wonder if there is another draft of this somewhere in space???? I'm not going to preview this I'm pushing the publish button and then I'll try to find some directions that I probably should have read before starting this.
Peace

1 comment:

  1. Nora,
    I find what the person in your NCAE session very interesting. I would have to disagree with him. Technology may appear to create social deficits, however I wouldn't blame the technology I would blame the parents. (But that another story!) Social media is just that, social. Kids use services like MySpace, Facebook, and Twitter to connect with other students. We use tools like blogs, wikis, Skype, Google Docs and others in the classroom so that student can collaborate. At home, social deficits are the result of poor parenting. In the classroom social deficits are the results of poor teaching.

    Congratulation on setting up your blog and good luck in this course!

    ReplyDelete