Tuesday, October 27, 2009

1 & 1/2 habits to cultivate

I went through the 7 1/2 habits of successful people last week after viewing the introductory video. I say "went through" because as usual I was still at school and it was almost six pm. The voice did not go as fast as I could read -so I read. Of all the 7 1/2 habits, play would probably be the one that I most need to work on. I always feel this tremendous pressure to accomplish my goals and fulfill my responsibilities so that it seems there is not much time for play.

I need to work on balance in my life. If I don't maintain my health and sanity (: Then I won't be of much use to my students. Admitting a problem is the first step towards fixing it so hopefully I'll get to the fixing part soon. Just as soon as I can figure out which elephants I don't need to juggle, which is another reference to the NCAE conference this weekend where the guest speaker spoke about prioritizing and realizing that you can't do it all. He was a good speaker and unfortunately I can't recall his name. The book is called, Juggling Elephants, and he co-authored, "Who Moved My Cheese," (I think)

The only other area where I have a lot of work to do is in the area of self confidence. Not so much in the area of learning but in my ability to be an effective teacher. I often feel that there is a secret out there to help the children learn that others know and I don't. Is it TRUE???? I'll pay you if you tell me!!!! Really...

No comments:

Post a Comment